31 December 2010

Festive Frustration

Even though it is just the beginning of winter, everything is melting. The rivers are full but there is still snow lying where the sun can't reach it and pathways are treacherous with a layer of compacted ice under a layer of water.


Today I stood at the top of a cliff that dropped 50m down to a rushing river; on the opposite side of the gorge, snow sat on ledges all the way up the cliff face, while enormous icicles dripped down like teeth. For Scotland this is such an unusual sight.


But it's all so beautiful. I am desperate to paint it just now but can't get near my studio because of commitments. Sooooooo frustrating, maybe more so because I am away from home and I can't even access the photos I took of the icicles. I must apologise for no picture to go along with this blog.

But, come the 5th January, I'll be back at it, splashing paint, listening to loud music, making a mess and having a great time. Woohoo!

Meanwhile, I'm gathering reference photos of snowy, misty fields, rust coloured bracken and ferns and ice covered waterfalls ready for my activities at the beginning of 2011.

Have a Happy New Year one and all.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy!!! You mentioned that you're an artist. I encourage you to continue doing what you love--engage in your passion. If at first you don't think you are good enough, never stop trying. In the end, you'll discover a major improvement, and you'll be proud of yourself. :-)

    Cheers to you this 2011!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Irene, I feel thoroughly positive after that pep talk. Much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i heard there is a cold wave blowing in whole europe, but it sounds so beautiful ...the ice and mist ...anyways good write up...

    ReplyDelete