14 January 2011

Vandalism and Other Irritations

It's not been the best start to the year. One of my paintings, hanging in an exhibition, has been vandalised. Somewhat upsetting as it is gratingly obvious.

Someone just decided to pick off some of the light coloured thick paint right in the middle of the canvas revealing a hole at the bottom of which is dark under paint. It was just such a pointless thing to do, and I find it distressing. What does it say about the painting, or my work, or me as an artist?

Meanwhile, I have been told that my paintings are morbid and have been asked if I could do something cheerier, like flower paintings. I was somewhat taken aback and rather upset (stoically tried not to show it) as I've never heard my landscapes and skyscapes described like that, certainly not to my face.

I find the criticism all the more confusing as the people doing the opining have my paintings in a corridor against dark wallpaper. The lighting is angled at the dark blue carpeted floor and not my paintings. I'm trying not to let it bother me, but I still find it unsettling even though the conditions aren't exactly of a gallery quality.

Here's one of the morbid ones; let me know what you think.

Image: New Year's Day, Troon, oil on canvas, 102 x 76cm (40 x 30")

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe someone would do that! And your paintingss are not morbid at all - that says a lot more about the person who said so! I think the painting you have posted is beautiful and hopeful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, that makes me feel better already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vandilisation of your painting has nothing to do with you or your painting, just a sick act done from a sad person. When someone tells you what you 'should' paint, do what my kids do to me - nod your head with a smile on your face and carrying on doing what You do. I'm no artist, but I think your painting are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Juls. Your comments are very lifting and very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete