6 April 2011

Defeated

Arran Sunset, oil on canvas, 60 x 80cm (24 x 31")
I have another private view coming up on the 17th April at Smithy Gallery (you are more than welcome to attend, 1pm to 5pm), and I promised the gallery owner that I would have a new painting, in mixed media ready for them for that event.

But I'm just not going to manage it, and I'm really annoyed with myself.

The new painting was the one I wrote a post about last week - A New Painting, Loch Garry 1 - but it just hasn't worked.  And I'm not going to be able to solve it's problems in time to get it framed.  I will still post about it, though, I just think it's too awful to show you at the moment.  Colours are garish, the sky is blotchy, clouds are nondescript, the loch is flat and uninteresting and the shades I used when preparing the background just aren't shining through - I think that's enough for now.  There is nothing more frustrating than working on a painting especially for someone, and not liking it.

I am feeling both defeated and deflated, but it won't last long.  I'll start working on the Loch Garry painting again (in a couple of weeks), and suddenly, out of nowhere, it'll start to work, and everything will be rosy, birds will be singing and I'll accept that I can still paint after all.

However, I do have some other paintings that I have not shown before, which in itself is quite exciting, so they will be hanging them for the first time on the 17th.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much are they ? I liked Old start new painting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean the painting, Cartwheels at Sunset, the painting shown in the post New Start, Old Painting? That is the one I'm over painting as Sunset at Morar. As for costs, I have prints that start at £15, with original paintings going up to £2000.

    ReplyDelete